Agencies with R&D budgets over $100 Million are required to allocate 2.8 percent of their budget to the SBIR program. There are currently 12 government organizations that participate in the SBIR program. Each organization administers the program separately and have separate calls for proposals at different times of the year. The organizations include:
- Department of Agriculture
- National Institute of Standards and Technology
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Department of Defense
- Department of Education
- Department of Energy
- National Institute of Health
- Department of Homeland Security
- Department of Transportation
- Environmental Protection Agency
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- National Science Foundation
The dollar amount and the time of year the calls are released vary by organization.
Click here for information on STTRs.